Choosing the right curtain fabric is just one part of the equation when it comes to dressing your windows beautifully. The other crucial aspect is getting the measurements right. Accurate measurements are vital for ensuring that your curtains fit perfectly and serve their function, whether it’s providing privacy, controlling light, or enhancing aesthetics.
FabricFox, your go-to online curtain fabric store, offers a wide selection of quality fabrics. But before you make a purchase, here’s a comprehensive guide to help you take accurate measurements for your curtains.
1. Gather the Necessary Tools
Before you begin, you will need:
- A metal measuring tape (as fabric tapes can stretch)
- A notepad and pen to jot down the measurements
- A step ladder if the windows are high
2. Determine the Curtain Style
Different curtain styles may require different measurements. Decide whether you want:
- Full-length curtains that almost touch the floor
- Sill-length curtains that reach the window sill
- Apron-length curtains that hang about 4 inches below the sill
3. Measure the Curtain Rod or Track Width
- Measure the rod’s length, not including the finials (decorative ends).
- If you don’t have a rod installed yet, consider the curtain’s stacking space on each side (usually about 10-15% of the rod’s length).
- Measure the total width of the track.
4. Measure the Drop (Length)
For Full-Length Curtains:
- Measure from the top of the rod or track to the floor, subtracting 1 cm to prevent dragging.
For Sill-Length Curtains:
- Measure from the top of the rod or track to the window sill.
For Apron-Length Curtains:
- Measure from the top of the rod or track to 4 inches below the sill.
Note: If you’re using rings or hooks, remember to measure from the bottom of the ring or hook to get the accurate drop length.
5. Consider the Curtain Fullness
The fullness refers to how gathered or pleated the curtains will be. A common rule is to multiply the rod or track width by 1.5 to 2.5, depending on how full you want the curtains to appear.
6. Check the Measurements
Double-check your measurements to avoid any errors. Remember, it’s always better to measure twice and order once!
7. Note Down the Measurements
Write down the measurements clearly, indicating the width and drop for each window if they vary.
8. Consult with FabricFox if Needed
If you have any doubts, don’t hesitate to reach out to the FabricFox team. They can guide you through the process to ensure you get the perfect fit for your curtains.
Measuring for curtains doesn’t have to be a daunting task. With careful attention to detail and a clear understanding of what to measure, you can confidently shop for curtain fabrics online.
Head over to fabricfox.co.za to explore a stunning array of curtain fabrics and make your selection with the confidence that your curtains will fit just right. FabricFox’s team of experts is also on hand to assist you with any queries, making your online shopping experience smooth and enjoyable.
Happy measuring, and even happier curtain shopping!