As a homeowner or renter, you are bound to run into pests at some point. But, don’t fear, there are plenty of proven methods to eliminate these little critters for good. Store-bought repellents might be effective depending on the severity of your infestation. In this article, we will give you tips on how to keep your home or office pest-free.
Common Pests You Will Find in Your Home
Rats and Mice
You’d be surprised at just how much damage rodents can do in your home. They chew on anything and everything to prevent their teeth from overgrowing. If they decide to chew on an electric wire, it could start a fire. Rat poison used by pest control specialists will get rid of these pests quickly and easily.
Cockroaches aren’t necessarily dangerous, but they are gross! They are also extremely challenging to get rid of due to their ability to withstand any temperature, no matter how extreme. It’s believed that cockroaches can even survive nuclear bombs. If you find one cockroach in your home, you can expect there to be more, and you’ll need to move quickly to remove the infestation.
Ants love to munch on whatever you’re eating or drinking. Ants are typically a seasonal problem but in extreme cases can be found year-round. Ants build their nests outside but enter your home in search of food. Once they find it, they will keep coming back for more.
Flies are not only annoying but equally disgusting. Flies contaminate your food and spread numerous disease-causing organisms. Because they can’t chew, they throw up onto their (your) food. These enzymes then dissolve the food so they can eat (drink) it. You’ll find that flies are mostly present in warmer months and they enter your home mainly through open windows. Cover them with window blinds to avoid all possible entry.
How to Get Rid of Pests for Good
When you notice unwanted pests in your home or office, there are a few things you can try before hiring pest control specialists. Below are some tips and tricks to help you get started:
- A mixture of sugar and borax can help you keep ants away from your home. In a quart jar, mix borax and sugar (1 cup of each). Make some holes in the lid and distribute the mixture inside around the baseboards of your house, and outside around the foundation. The sugar will attract the ants, and the borax will poison them, thus getting rid of your problem.
- Borax is also poisonous to cockroaches. To get rid of them, sprinkle borax powder in bathroom and kitchen cabinets. Avoid areas where kids or pets can reach.
- If you’ve ever had fleas, you’ll know just how challenging it can be to eradicate them. Spraying your entire home with chemical is essential. But before you do, vacuum carpets thoroughly and throw the dust bag out.
- Rodents can wreak havoc in your home and should be tended to promptly. You can use peanut butter or raw bacon as bait for a mousetrap. Tie bacon around the triggering device and leave peanut butter to harden a little, to make sure they won’t remove it without triggering the trap.
- The best way to steer clear of rodents is to prevent them from coming into your home in the first place. Rodents need less than 1cm of space to squeeze through so close these spaces with steelwool fragments mixed with spackling compound or rodent poison. Always check the back of your wall-mounted airconditioner, they love to hide there!
- If you live in an apartment building, getting rid of pests will be challenging and ultimately ineffective because they travel from one apartment to another. The best way to eliminate them is to hire professionals like Pest Control Centurion to exterminate the entire apartment block.
The longer you wait, the harder it will be to get rid of pests. If you spot an unwanted guest, do something right away.